Thursday, July 19, 2012

Francisco: Journal Entry #1

I am a graduate student currently teaching. I like teaching, but my students don't put forth much effort. I was told by my professor to start a journal in an attempt to chart my goals and my progress to my goals. I don't feel this is the best use of my time, so I hope my professor knows better and will support in guiding me to better success. If not, hey, at least he tried. What my professor doesn't know, since he has been teaching in higher edcuation for past 25 years, is that schools are different, children are different. I mean really, we teach and have to pass through metal detectors, or teach in classes that are so privileged that we aren't really teaching to students as we are appeasing parents that are paying hefty tuitions. Anything to make them happy. Sucks really. How much my students learn or don't learn from my lessons really is a reflection of the home. I mean I only have them for one year. What can I do in a year, they have them for a lifetime. I teach the instructional basics, they teach everything else. My goal: Build better parenting partnerships to build stronger students.

2 comments:

  1. Francisco,
    I am an eighth grader. Even at a young age, I understand that goals are a very important part of life. My dad says that you can’t get anywhere if you don’t know where you are going. My teacher has me creating steps to reach my goal. It sounds dorky, but it has made my goals seem more realistic. I also enjoy making the steps harder and harder because I like challenges. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Bob! Parents are an important role. They will always be a part of your life. Thanks for sharing your post. keep looking to your parents for guidance. Your teachers will only be with you for one year, take what you can and grow.

    ReplyDelete